Do you want to eat healthy, with delicious flavor, while being cruelty free?
Here is my very favorite recipe. One that I have been using for many years and it has become a family favorite.
- 250 g of lentils
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (I have experimented with Bourbon for a variation and also works great!)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground chili (or creole seasoning)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions and parsley
- 1 cup of finely flaked oats (you can process rolled oats)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100 g fresh Paris mushrooms
- 50 g shiitake mushrooms (I often use just one pack of sliced white mushrooms from Trader Joes instead of Paris + shiitake)
Soak lentils in wine with 1 cup of hot water. Add the onion sliced in 4, the peeled garlic cloves, bay leaves, and rosemary. Let it soak for about 1 hour.
Cook until liquid is fully absorbed and the lentils are tender. If necessary, add more water. Process the cooked lentils with the spices, add the soy sauce, salt, pepper, and green onions and parsley to obtain a uniform mass. Transfer to a bowl, combine the oats and set aside.
Sauté the mushrooms in the olive oil for 5 minutes, remove from the heat, chop and add to the lentil.
Pour the batter into an oiled English cake pan and bake in a preheated oven (390ºF) for 50 minutes.
Serve it with marinara sauce.
Consider supporting the Reforestation Project I contribute with by purchasing any items from my Brazilian Series: